Saturday, August 23, 2014

It Is A New Record

The old record of seven bears in one day stood for six years. But records are made to be broken.
Today is a beautiful day in Skagway. The kind you just want to get out and see something. So, even though I had only two booked on a tour, I was eager to get out. It was beautiful in every way, but then a bear walked across the road. Perfect. I had plenty of time to stop. By the time I did, she was joined by two scampering cubs. Across the road, she stopped for a snack. The cubs were both curious and nervous about the bus.I decided to move forward, so checked my mirror, and a third cub crossed the road behind us. They didn't hang around long, but the passengers were able to get photos.
Later, on the return trip, we spotted a vehicle with active flashers on the road. Good sign. I put on my own flashers and slowed down. Voila! Bears on rocks. Three cubs. Mama in the ditch.
These bears were about 200 yards from the other bears.
According to the rule book, any wildlife sighting while traveling in the opposite direction from any earlier sighting, shall be deemed a new sighting. So by the book, we didn't see the same bear family twice, we had two separate, but similar sightings.
Eight is the new record.
Ref: Bill's Official Rules of Wildlife Sightings

No comments: