The aurora borealis was a bust. We got up at 1 am and went outside. After ten minutes of nothing we went back to bed. Perhaps more patience was required, but we have to work today, so losing lots of sleep seemed unattractive.
Anyway, I had used up my patience looking for bears. I spent the late afternoon and early evening at Dyea. The salmon are shoving each other around vying for fertilization rights. The eagles are playing a game called "Juveniles Rule." The way it works is, a mature bald eagle catches a salmon and starts to eat it. Then a juvenile flies in, knocking the adult away, then takes the fish to a new place, where another juvie knocks him away, repeating the process, sometimes involving up to four juvies. Unfortunately, this all happens too far away to get video. The adults take all this activity tolerantly, following along as if to say, "You kids play nice, there is enough for everyone."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ah bummer. I thought if anyone had a chance to see some activity, you guys would.
It's true slashdot is not mainstream news, and although I rarely go to the site itself, I have the rss news feed on my smartphone - which is probably more nerdy than just reading the regular webpage. But who has time for that?
Looks like there are more chances to see the Northern Lights tonight, but at specific times - which may always be the case. One such time would be 10pm tonight for you, but I suppose it won't be dark enough then.
http://www.universetoday.com/70294/solar-storm-update-best-times-for-viewing-aurorae/
And here are some posts from people that got to see it last night.
http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/gallery_01aug10.htm
Post a Comment