Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day Off, no ship, no tour, no problem

I just decided that I will take some pictures today of our little RV park so you can see where we are living.
In the meantime.......
We are parked next to a long yellow-brown storage building. The slideout is about two feet from the wall. So one of the things I got at the hardware store on Wed. was a thermometer to hang on that wall so we could see it when we eat. It is always good to know how to dress. I drove a nail into the wall and stuck it up there. It was raining, and water dripped in my face as I did it. Within an hour it blew down. It came with a hanging strip that clips in place. So I attached that, got another nail, stood in the roof drip, and hung it with both the original and the new nail, on opposite sides. It blew down over night. Thursday, I asked Macky if he had any loose screws. Well, he is a Skagwegian, so there is an obvious answer. Badumpbump. He did. So I put two screws through the hanging strip and the thermometer has been solid ever since. It showed 46 when we went to bed and 48 when we got up. It will be a few days before the temp changes enough for us to see if it is an accurate instrument.
Oh yeah, the hardware store did not get in the sewer piece I needed, so I adapted and put it together differently. It required some cutting and gluing. You don't need the details, but we have sewer hooked up now. It looks very Skagwegian, but it works.
We are across the street from "Gravel City" rv park, so we went over there after work yesterday to do laundry. There are 10 regular washers. At least two don't work. The soap dispenser took my four quarters but produced no soap. There are three oversized washers, one is broken. But a man taking his clothes from another one offered us his soap. That is also typical Skag way. There are eight dryers, six work. The office is not only closed, but the junk piled in it shows that it has been closed for a while. Next time we will go to the laundry at the gas station. All their machines work, and there is always someone there to refund money or make change. But we did run into another old friend and got caught up on her adventures. We like our adventures much better.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Happpy Cinco de Mayo...anything open for a margarita tonight? Sounds like your adventures continue...I sure hope I can make a quick trip up there before I head to Minnesota in July...I would love to see both of you!

love and hugs from Sitka...Jane