Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Is heat like pain?

It was hot here today. Well, really all this week.
How hot was it?
It was above 75.
We remember that 75 is hot here. Maybe like 95 is hot in Tucson. But remembering isn't the same as feeling.  Like pain. You remember that it hurts, but you don't re-feel it during the memory. Otherwise women would each have only one child, and nobody would have more than one tooth pulled.
So, when I picked Peggie up from the popcorn shop where she works on the reservation system after driving her tour, I took her down to the harbor. It was probably closer to 100 in the shop. Not only is it enclosed, but they have those poppers putting out steam all day. A/C?  Nobody here knows what that is.
So we drove down to the harbor where the wind off the water reminds us that it is cool here. We didn't have a thermometer (except the one in the dashboard that I didn't think to look at until just now) but I think it was more like 45 there. We could only stand it for a few minutes. But it sure cooled us off as well as an A/C.
So the tours are going well. We are seeing a few bears. I am up to seven for the season. Saw the same sow and cubs I saw the other day. No, I haven't named them yet. Peggie has seen one. But we aren't keeping score. wink wink

3 comments:

Margie said...

Sounds like you're finally having some nice weather! My kind of nice! We are hitting the low 90's the next few days - pretty hot. And the wind has been more than ordinarily annoying this spring: 15-20 mph with gusts up to 35, is what they say. Those gusts seem to last for a very long time, like maybe 20 minutes sometimes. We got in the hot tub last night and the mist with the wind (yes, even after the sun went down!) made our faces feel pretty cold, and we didn't sit out on the swing on the back porch afterwards. I really, really don't like wind!
Glad you are seeing bears and generally enjoying your adventures!

Peggie said...

The owner's wife has returned from her two week (18 days!) trip and I've been assured these 13 hour workdays are over. I'll say they are! I love doing my tours--love them so not ready to return to retirement just yet. But being a "team player" has its limits. There's a reason I've only seen one bear; I've got some serious catching up to do.

Peggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.