Thursday, May 16, 2013

Why me?

Today I volunteered to drive the one remaining "old" bus to check out a perceived problem Bryan had yesterday. To wit, 2nd gear did not hold back enough on the downhill.
It was a summit tour with 18 on board. Got to the summit with all going well. Tried to leave the summit and the ignition did not connect. No clicking of dead battery. No grinding of starter. No nothing. All other electrical systems worked fine. I tried jiggling the neutral safety switch. I couldn't even find the starter. I moved the shift lever in and out of every position. Nothing.
The code of the trail. Another driver tried to help. But it came down to him going on up to Fraser and getting the train master (our friend Allyson) to call back to town and inform our office. That meant we could expect relief of some kind in about an hour or so. So, since it was windy cold outside, we all stayed on the bus and I regaled them with tales of the gold rush that would have come on the return to town. Three fell asleep. I thought I was more interesting than that. When I ran out of material, two men got in a joke telling contest. That was fun. Luckily, I was surprised when Jack drove up with the old-I-will-never-drive-it-again Ford. We gratefully loaded up and he entertained us on the way back to town. I promised everyone free popcorn for their inconvenience. One woman asked me privately and I think only half jokingly, if we could leave her husband there. Only 9 took me up on the free popcorn, and two groups actually gave me tips.
Not to leave you hanging, Heath took me back up in his Suburban, sat in the driver's seat, pumped the gas pedal 10 times hard, and the darned old thing started up! That was not the problem. Based on my experience with our Wagoneer in '95, I think it is a computer issue. Either way, if I have to drive it again, I will leave the engine running at stops.
Meanwhile, Peggie got to get out of office work and drive her second tour today. Then she got to do office work when she got back in town. Long day.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Ugh! That is frustrating. But those people shouldn't want to go all the way to Alaska and have everything go perfectly. Where is the fun in that? They all now have a story to tell that they wouldn't have had everything gone according to plan.

Caseygirl said...

It is nice to be able to offer free popcorn now! Too bad you haven't gotten away from the old buses completely.