Thursday, May 2, 2013

May Day, May Day!

It is Wed., the first of May. We don't have internet, so will post this later.
We arrived in Skagway at about 5pm last night. We had blizzard conditions the last five miles in Canada and the first two miles in Alaska. Apparently it was just above 3000' or so. Snow is falling in Skagway, but really light.
We were met by Macky, "our maintenance man," and he showed us our spot and helped back me in. Other employees, two drivers and the popcorn manager, who live here also dropped by after a bit to say hi. One of the other drivers, Alyssa, drove for Heath last year and for the large bus companies before that. She is
"in charge" of all DOT paper work. She has been training the "new guy" and immediately took Peggie under her wing, also. She went with them today to see the pre-trip inspection and some practice driving. (I am posting this on Thurs. and Peggie passed all three of the written portions of the test today. Yay!)
While she was out training, I finished leveling and setting the trailer up. I need a piece for the sewer pipe so that is the thing the hardware store is out of.
In running errands, primarily getting our Post Office keys, I ran into 6 people I know and like. Huh? Must be a small town. Speaking of the PO, I reserved our box last month so we could start getting some things sent directly here. But, somebody went online and reserved the same box. Really? Why wasn't my "reserved" box made unavailable for somebody as soon as it was assigned to me? If you had our first number and need the new one, let me know.
This is the coldest, wettest, windiest, May we have seen. Even the locals are complaining. Rain, mixed with snow off and on all day. High temps in the forties. We were told to keep water running to prevent freezing.
Some things are the same. Last minute painting, sign hanging, boardwalk building, and stocking. The bad weather made the barge 3 days late and everyone is panicking. There are new businesses in "what used to be there?" and closed businesses with FOR RENT signs in the windows, HELP WANTED signs everywhere.
Some things are different. The owner of the Pizza Station, that was the gas station when we were here in '95 has filled the tanks and sells gas by credit card only, with no personnel on hand. Twenty cents cheaper than the other "only station in town." There are some strong feelings about that! We saw all new faces at Customs, and the officer who checked us through was really friendly. We have since learned that three of the  crew from our last visit are still there.

Thursday, May 2
First ship is tomorrow. One on Saturday. Then three empty days, then it starts to pick up. Neither of us can drive yet, because Peggie still needs to do the driving portion of the test, (only done on Thursday) and we both have to have a urine-drug test that can't be done till next week. (Because it is the Skag way.) I never knew how lax Dave was with some of these requirements until I see it being done "by the book." So we will ride along tomorrow and Saturday. I will start driving next Wed. and Peggie on Friday. She will get to practice driving during those off days. I don't know what I will do. Maybe help teach her.

3 comments:

Peggie said...

So, I got two new driver's licenses today--my class d and then they talked me into taking the 50 ques cdl test and the 20 ques passenger endorsement since I would get the feel for the tests and could always come back tomorrow and retake them if necessary. What a nice feeling to pass them both as I've been a bit distracted even though I've been studying. I turned in my class d license and got my cdl learner permit. Wouldn't you know, the pictures on both licenses were great. What are the odds? I hope I'm as lucky next week when I pass the pre-inspection/skills test and get a 3rd picture and license. And, Brian, the other new driver passed his pre-inspection/skills test today so it was a successful day around here!

Caseygirl said...

Dad what will you do? Maybe help train mom?!

If Greg and I had to learn how to drive from you so does mom.

Margie said...

We are so glad everything is going well - except for the sewer pipe, that is.
But I agree with Dave. I'll take our 80-100 temp days with clear skies any day over rain, snow, and keeping the water running to keep the lines from freezing. In May!
Keep up the good posting so we can live this adventure vicariously. We considered trying to go up in July to see you, but we probably won't end up making the trip.