Today went the way yesterday was supposed to have gone.
Peggie got to ride along on the 8:00 summit tour with Alyssa training Brian because there were some empty seats. I stayed to help Jaimie and Heath with whatever might come up. Alyssa locked the keys in her bus, so I had to run to the bus lot, get the spares and bring them back to her. Then Jaimie and I got to spend some time getting acquainted while manning the desk. She had to run out for coffee so I hung out alone for a while.
The streets were empty. It was raining pretty hard so most folks just stayed on ship.
When it came time to take the Carcross run, I decided to go along again. Free lunch, beautiful scenery.
Not surprising me at all, there were visible changes in the snow cover. One of the things I always say is that the scenery changes every day, all summer long. When there are moving clouds, it changes while you are watching it. I love getting to see it without the distraction of driving and talking. We will all go up again on Tuesday for the driver orientation since new owners may have made some changes. Free lunch, beautiful scenery.
Today's trip, Brian took the wheel while Alyssa did the narrative. It is a good way for a new driver to make the connection between the story and the various stretches of road. On the return, he tried to contribute bits to the narrative, but he botched it every time. The passengers joined us in teasing him and laughing. He is so good natured that he usually laughed first and last.
We have Sunday and Monday off. No ships. Peggie will get some training in. No ships on Tuesday, that's why the orientation is that day.Peggie and I should be cleared to drive by Wednesday. She can drive the smaller bus without the CDL.
Our friend Barry, with whom I worked the first two years, has been desperately hunting a place to park his trailer since Mountain View has shut down. Tomorrow I will tow him to the site he landed at Pullen Creek which normally does not take seasonals. He does not have a truck, since he just leaves the trailer here year 'round
We won't be going to Dyea soon, since bears aren't out yet and the road is reported to be a muddy mess while it is being widened.
I will keep y'all posted (get it?) if any adventures crop up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment