Saturday, May 11, 2013

Congratulations Peggie


Long story, short version.
Peggie and I are both supposed to be driving tours this year.  But we got here and learned that we needed to pass a drug-screening urine test before we could start.  So an appointment was made, and we did our thing. Now we are still waiting for results five days later.  Meantime, tours have been sold and drivers are needed.  Yesterday, (May 10) we only had 2 guests on “my” tour so I was allowed to take them in one of the green jeeps, since the CDL is not required for that. Jaimie has to go home for the oldest son’s graduation and will be gone two weeks.  Michelle, who is supposed to be here managing the office, is delayed in Wisconsin. So Peggie, who can’t even take her CDL driving test until the end of the month, was tapped to learn the office routine while Jaimie is gone.  The small bus she is supposed to drive doesn’t require a CDL, so she could be driving.  She is disappointed, but she’s a team player. She has been studying all the gold rush lore, riding along with other drivers, including me, on both practice and actual tours. Yesterday, Jack sold a city summit tour (2.5 hours) for five people.  All the drivers were out, so Jack would have taken it, but they offered it to Peggie.  She took it.
It was the best way. No time to get nervous. Even less time to panic. When I got back in town I learned that she was out on a tour. We went to celebrate and rehash the tour at Brew Co. Since Bryan also took his first solo tour, and I took my first this season, we had much to celebrate, and good stories to share.


8 comments:

Peggie said...

It was great fun! I had a dad, college son, high school daughter and another couple celebrating their 25th anniversary. I took lots of pictures for them and they insisted I get in some pictures as well. Lots of hugs when they left. Last night I received an email thanking me for a great tour and sending me one of the pictures. How cool is that?

Margie said...

Did you get a tip? Dave says that is the important part! Actually, having fun is much more important, especially the first time out!
Yay Peggie!

Peggie said...

Great tips of the $ kind!

Caseygirl said...

Congrats mom! Of course you would become so friendly with your tourists that you would get pictures and emails. She might be more personable than you dad - watch out :)

Peggie said...

Well...not that it's a competition but I did make more tips than he that day. Of course, I made none yesterday because I was doing office stuff. So, the non-competition competition is officially at an end. I also made sure the "boss man" knew that while I would do an excellent job handling the reservations while his wife is gone, that I was hired to be a DRIVER and I don't want to be switched to office work. He told me to "trust him" on that. Nuff said.

Karin said...

karin said: way to go Peggie. Sounds like fun, the telling history part not the driving.

Peggie said...

It was fun AND I think I was mostly accurate!

caseyman said...

Way to go, Peggie. And you know from all those years of teaching that when you don't know the answer to one of their questions...just make something up and say it in an authoritative voice. :) Miss you both!