Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Just like before
When we came up first in '09, we were amazed how the weather could change so quickly in a day. We still are. This morning we were snowed on at the summit, then this afternoon the sunshine had us seeking shade. Peggie got to take a fun group on tour today. They saw a moose. My group yesterday saw three moose, a cow with two calves. All we saw today was a lone mountain goat. This afternoon, Bryan came into the popcorn shop with four people who had gone on his summit tour, and who had been promised a special additional private tour to Dyea. He didn't know anything about Dyea. So I offered to go along. He eagerly accepted my offer. So I talked as we drove out there, mentioned the possibility of seeing harbor seals and bald eagles. We stopped to watch some harbor seals when suddenly a huge bald eagle swooped down and tried to grab a duck on the river. Right if front of us. It was spectacular. He missed the duck, but landed in a nearby tree. I looked up and saw the mate just a little higher up the hill. Then we went to the head of the Chilkoot trail, took photos of them at the beginning and told them they could now claim to have hiked a section of the famous Chilkoot trail. So the group were thrilled with their little bonus tour and excited to have seen the eagle so close up. Bryan really appreciated my help and the learning he got from it. I liked being a tour guide on the Dyea road without having to pay attention to the driving. Later, the road will be better, as it is being widened in some of the narrowest places, and some of the curves are being straightened.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I took a fun group out today--six couples from various ships. I seem to get lots of hugs and comments that I'm a "the best tour guide, just the best". But, today anyway, the hugs and comments didn't come with tips. Personally, I think the huggers should pay a bit when they cop a feel. :-) I had a great time anyway and can hardly wait to get out of this office stuff and out on the road every day!
We're glad you're both having fun. It's good that the tour job is something you're enjoying, Peggie. And of course, I was referring to you as the "thin gal in the turquoise coat" - you look great!
I agree...any extra "copping" should require tipping. Thanks for the laugh...I just woke up Maggie when I laughed out loud.
Hugs from Sitka...Jane
Post a Comment