Saturday, May 25, 2013

Temporal anomoly

I just noticed, from reading a few previous posts, that another week has passed. I seems to me that it happened more quickly than is normal. My current working hypothesis is that at higher latitudes time passes more quickly because the circumference of the earth is smaller. I will try to design some experiments to test this theory. Since this journal is peer reviewed, I welcome input from other temporal observers. At the moment, I am discounting the temporal distortion created by sitting at a computer, since I get very few chances to do that with our iffy internet hookup. It has been well documented that being busy has an accelerating effect on time, so I will factor that in as well.
It is a day off, and laundry has to be done. Laundry is the kind of busy-ness that actually slows time down. It should create a nice balance to the speediness that causes a day off to pass by so quickly.
So t t f n, I hope your Saturday does not go too quickly.

6 comments:

Greg said...

I think you may be on to something. I have noticed these past ten years living in the more-northern New York vs. the less-northern Arizona have gone by faster than the previous two ten-year periods.
I have also noticed that similar temporal anomilies occur in the presence of children. However they are unstable and sometimes cause time to speed up and other times to slow down. More children increase power of the anomaly, whether it be faster or slower. I have also noticed your own children, or children related to you, cause time to speed up more often than slow down whereas other people's children cause time to slow down in localized, short-term periods.. The presence of an additional parent can sometimes counteract the effects.

The balance is not equal however; in general, all children cause time to speed up. The effects can be hidden and are then realized when you have not seen a particular child for some time or you encounter an old photo of or work of art created by a child you are around frequently.

Greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peggie said...

Oh my, I can definitely tell you are related to Bill. There was a time in the past when trying to get one's child to do more writing caused time to go inordinately slow. Now, as I read this, I see the effects were indeed hidden and said child has begun to write much as his father does, and without prompting. It is certainly entertaining to read these thoughts about children and the speed of time--you sooooo get it!

Peggie said...

And by the way, where were the "more children" when you were given this anomaly of free time allowing you to write such an entertaining response?

Bill said...

Ah, yes, children.
Children are to time as black holes are to light. ie: they suck it up.
Notice, for instance the nieces, nephews, and friends' children who grow in 2,3, or 5 year bursts, while you are only aware of half the time passing in your own life. Contrarily,as children we all remember the "forever" it took us to become 10 while our uncles, aunts, or parents' friends have not changed at all.

Greg said...

The 26th, when I left the comment, was the first day Tomoko didn't have ANYTHING scheduled for the day. We had the WHOLE day to schedule as we pleased. I wait forever for those days then they go by so quickly. ;)

We went out for brunch and hit some stores we had been meaning to go to. Then home for a nap. There were more things I had been waiting to do once we had some free time, but I didn't have time to remember them all that day.