When I researched the weather patterns for Skagway, I learned that about 30% of the annual precipitation falls in Sep and Oct. Sure enough, since Aug 12 we have had just a handful of rain-free days. But this is not Tucson rain. The mist or intermittent setting on the wipers is the most valuable setting. Never high speed.
The rain falls more at night than during the day. So far the wind seldom blows while it is raining, so awnings provide shelter. But shelter isn't necessary unless you have to stand in the rain for a long time. The droplets are very small, often it just feels like heavy fog rather than rainfall. Oh, and there is fog! At the summit, which is almost 3300 ft, the clouds lay in at about 2000 ft. So for miles the fog can be so thick that visibility is 40-50 feet. Not so good for a sightseeing tour. I tell my passengers that this is the place where you can see Russia on a clear day.But once we get north a few miles the fog clears and we can see the changing leaves. I am just in awe. It literally gets better every day. Good thing, too, 'cause the bears are hiding. I am told that the leaves will fall, but then the snow starts on the mountains, and that that is a beautiful sight, also.
Peggie's store is busier than ever. It seems that the people taking the bargain priced cruises are more likely to be quilters, or something. Anyway, there won't be any winding down for her.
Don has his operation running more smoothly, so he is not working so long and hard. Once in a while he 'has to' go along on a run as the extra jeep.
Yesterday I overheard the first of the "if I don't see you, have a good winter" conversations. I guess that will happen a lot. I remember in the spring hearing a lot of "hey, good to see you came back" type greetings.
Right now it is raining, and I have to go get ready for work. I think I will reretire soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment