Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Yet another twist on TWTWS

Yesterday Dave called a company meeting. Remember that is three of us. He reminded us that at the beginning of the year, we signed a contract to work this last pay period (half of a month) at a 20% reduction in pay, because there are four days with no ships. Okay, we both (Barry and I) knew that. But Dave throws in a new twist. He wants one of us to voluntarily take a lay off. He has looked at the pre-booked tours and decided that he won't need both of us on any of the ship days. So on the one hand, that is perfect because, as I said, everyone in town is ready for the season to be over. But on the other hand, (trust me on the math, here) continuing to work nets a 13% pay raise when calculated per day, plus the opportunity for tips, plus both of our wives still have to work. So working makes sense, too. What to do. If I take off, I will have lots of time to get the trailer ready for travel. We can play hard on Peggie's remaining days off, maybe complete the bucket list. But I don't need that much time to prep the trailer, and I'd throw away enough money to buy all of our gas on the way home.
We have three days to volunteer, but if neither of us does, then Dave will be forced to make a management decision. That is a pretty good reason not to volunteer, right there.
But what will Dave do if we both want to take the lay off? That's a fun scenario, too.
All over town, employees are bailing out, and here is Dave trying to toss one overboard. TWTWS

No comments: