Today I struck gold and I only had to walk a block instead of the whole Chilkoot Trail. Look at these fresh grapes and cherries. They are sooooooooo good.
We've been picking fresh lettuce, zucchini and basil from my garden and there has been plenty to share with the neighbors. One neighbor, Brother Don, was given a great gift on Sunday of fresh halibut. Karin and I both had to work on Sunday (we usually have that day off). Bill grilled the halibut and sure enough, by the time we called in the fish and the loaves, we had meals aplenty. Halibut chowder was on the menu yesterday.
Bill has been noticing more and more signs of Autumn as he drives up to the Summit and to Carcross each day. We're noticing signs in town too. The Mountain Ash trees all over town are now filled with clusters of red berries. They are gorgeous. There are three across the street from the store and the center one has gold leaves with the red berries and the other two are deep green with the red berries. I need to take some pictures! The fireweed is mostly gone and the cotton does cluster at the base of the seed pods. The rain has returned but mostly at night so we're still able to ride our bikes to work. Today I even had to put a jacket on inside the store for a while because it was too cool (or I wasn't working hard enough). It's dark by 10:00 p.m. and I'm finding out that Skagway has quite a few streetlights. I guess that makes sense when there are only five hours of daylight in mid-winter.
And today, a man walked into the quilt store and said, "Do you sell quilt fabric here?" We all, customers and workers alike, burst out laughing. Some days are just more fun than others!
1 comment:
Everything sounds delicious and beautiful. How smart you were to plant a garden. Fall is hard to imagine with our temperatures and humidity.
Post a Comment