Sunday it rained and the smoke came in. Monday the rain was gone, but the smoke from countless fires reduced visibility to less than half a mile. At the end of the day my eyes hurt and my voice was almost gone from the smoke. Today the day started out smokey but it cleared as the day went on. My passengers were from the east so they thought this was a clear day. They were in awe at the mountains and lakes. But best of all, we saw a bear, a moose, and two goats.
The bear was one of the ones I saw on Sunday. The moose was the first one I have been able to show to tourists. The goats were two of the six that have been there since my hair-brained idea. My passengers were appropriately impressed with my animal spotting ability, so I told them I came by it genetically since both my parents were good at it.
Yesterday the smoke was so bad we couldn't have seen any animals even if they were there. But my passengers were really excited to see the salmon in Pullen Creek (which is like a ditch as it runs through town) because their earlier attempts had failed.
Peggie's addition: Bill just went outside to sit on the pallet patio, drink lemonade, eat peanuts and visit with Brother Don. Maybe he'll talk about the jinx later...or, maybe not. Karin and I just spent a couple hours visiting so we're finished for the night. We don't get to visit much at work although we're fellow schleppers. We just roll our eyes together!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
The jinx is the combination of no animals, bad weather, and no gas.
I thought Karin worked in a yarn shop and Peggie worked in a quilt shop - are you both in the same store after all?
We are having a lot of smoke from fires on the Mogollon Rim, so we empathize, although ours hasn't reduced visibility that much. Yesterday I heard that the Prescott, Coconino, and Tonto National Forests had a total of 12 lightning-caused blazes. They were going to let 3 burn to get rid of undergrowth and fight the others, partly because they are affecting air quality in the Verde Valley and elsewhere.
Yes, Karin works in the yarn shop (also has cross stitch and some quilting fabrics and kits) and I work in the quilt shop (same owner). There is a smoothie shop and a bakery between the two shops. A lot of merchandise comes to me and is passed on to Karin so we see each other several times a day.
"Hair-brained"? Really? Have you ever been introduced to the land of Xanth? If not, you really should visit there sometime.
Love your bestest niece,
Liz
Post a Comment