Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Whitehorse via white mountaintops

We all decided that an awful sound made by one of the buses was a failing water pump. We had to get it to Whitehorse before it failed, so I told Dave I would feel more comfortable if a chase vehicle came along in case it failed on the way. Therefore Dave followed me in his SUV and we headed for Whitehorse.
Last week at our Friday card game, Lynn mentioned that the first time it snows on the peaks they call that Termination Dust because it is almost the end of the season.
When I finally got to a point about 30 miles north, the clouds had lifted enough for me to see....Termination Dust! I estimate the snow level at between 5-6000 feet. But it is still August. None of the locals is surprised. I also learned that the leaves will all turn and be gone within 10 days or two weeks, so this Saturday we must go for a drive and get some pictures.
It wasn't the water pump, it was the A/C compressor. They couldn't get it fixed, so Dave spent the night and sent me home in his SUV. But first a friend of his invited us to dinner. Pot roast, mashed potatoes w/gravy, cooked carrots, and pasta salad followed by apple pie ala mode. It was worth the delay.
I set out from Whitehorse at 7pm. Traffic was light, so at Carcross I started counting northbound traffic. In the 65 miles to Skagway I met two cars and a black bear northbound. The bear wandered on the road until I stopped, then jumped over the guard rail and was gone. When I got to customs I asked about southbound traffic. I was the second car in more than an hour. You've heard of towns that roll up the sidewalks at sunset, this whole country folds up. In November both U.S. and Canadian customs will close at night.
It was about 9 when I got home. The dusk was a little brighter than a full moon, so the view from the summit down the valley was beautiful with the patches of fog floating up and down the canyons.
Well, it is tomorrow now and it is raining, but I have to get dressed and go to work.

No comments: