Thursday, August 20, 2009

Random thoughts on a rainy day

For many of you school is back in session and already becoming routine.
Karin, can you believe that just a few weeks ago you were standing by an Alaskan stream watching grizzly bears catching salmon? It wasn't a TV show, it was real! And you were too close!!!

I made a list of the animals I have seen since we got here. Peggie hasn't seen the number I have, but she has seen the variety. I used an * to denote animals I have seen on tour that Peggie didn't see at all.

wolf............................1
harbor seal................many
sea otter....................2
stellar sea lion...........many
orcas..........................7
humpbacks...............6?
bald eagles................many
grizzly.......................6
black bear................lost count
*moose.....................2
*black tail deer.......2
fox............................2
*lynx........................1
Dall sheep................lots, but probably the same ones over and over
mountain goats.......ditto

This just blows me away.

Coming up here has been, and continues to be, a real adventure. This is a very different place where people lead very different lives from the ones we know.
Just one example: The highway follows the shore of Tutshi Lake for about 10 miles. The lake is from one to two miles wide and 40 miles long in total. Over its entire coast, there is one permanent building (a summer cabin), and one access point where a boat can be launched from a trailer. There are no picnic sites, campgrounds, outhouses or other development of any kind.
Okay, two examples: Carcross is 65 miles from Skagway and has approximately 430 residents in the vicinity. Between them there is one permanant, year-round residence where a couple who work for the YTG road crew live, and also the Fraser Canadian Customs quarters. There are no roads into the hills, no logging has been done, no range cattle, nobody. Early tomorrow morning I have to go to Whitehorse. Last time I did that, I saw not one other car in that entire 65 miles.

2 comments:

Karin said...

Random thoughts on a clear sunny rather hot day in Springdale, Ar. 10 children, one who climbs fences, 2 who speak their own jibberish, two who don't know what no means, I think I would rather deal with the grizzleys catching salmon. I do miss the scenery and the view of the cruise ships at the end of Broadway on my to work on a bike with no traffic. I didn't realize the variety of what you had seen on wildlife. Do I see a book in the making?

Peggie said...

Hmm...I wonder who is having more fun right now. Wait, Bill drove up to Whitehorse at 6:00 a.m. and is not yet home so he's probably not having a great time.
Karin, I made 30 kits at work today. I thought you would appreciate the humor in that.