Sunday, September 6, 2009

Ruminations on ending the season

Welcome to the blog, Anita. Thank you for letting us know you are here, and for sharing.

You made me think a bit. Skagway, when you are working, is like Tucson in February, too much to do and too little time. Working half time might allow for all the interesting things to do and see. So much is dependent on the season that you can't do it all on just a visit. Working full time here is just like working full time anywhere, you get too tired to do everything that sounds good at first. For instance, there was a blues musician here recently, and more recently, bluegrass. Both sounded like fun a month ago, but come the night of, and you're just too tired to stay up that late and battle the smoking crowd. (They don't have Tucson's nearly universal ban on smoking here) On the other hand, it would be hard to stay here all summer with no job. As we have said before, life is expensive here. Compromise: a necessary evil.
We will not get to do everything in the short time left. We have not ridden the train yet, nor gone on the helicopters. We haven't hiked up to Dewey Lake, something we wanted to do in May. We haven't overnighted in Whitehorse, but mainly because there is nothing so special there that we needed to. They have the most pathetic Walmart in the world.
Everyone you talk to now is in agreement that the season is a month too long. I don't know anybody who wouldn't end it today if they could. Note to cruise lines: take two weeks off each end of the season and sell the same number of berths on fewer ships; win-win.
I talked with another driver today who said he is done, not returning next year (after 5 years), then said that is the biggest lie told in Skagway.

3 comments:

Karin said...

I think Don must be feeling fine now as he called Arkansas to ask how to turn on the camera. That was easier to tell than his adventure of retrieving bank statement on line via a phone call to Arkansas. I know he loved pulling you out of the sand...evens up from the mud. I went to health food store and the lavender they had was for external only so...now I need to find the tummy kind. Brad is almost over pneumonia and Sabre has a fever raising sinus infection. What fun.

Karin said...

I meant to mention Bill's toe, but the giggles made me forget. I almost agree with casey on how do you break a toe in the trailer but there are a few hard spots, fabric box on the floor, sewing machine case,leg of chair, litter box...

Bill said...

I assume the giggles were from my humorous writing style, just as Don's chortling resulted from the funny way I told the story. Yeah, right.
There is a handi-grab bar on the wall at the top of the stairs, that is what I kicked.