Today we will try to wind things up here in an attempt to leave tomorrow. The rain is on temporary hold, but the wind is trying to blow us away early.
Speaking of kodiak moments, Don went out on the last jeep tour Wed. and they saw four bears and two porcupines. One of the porcupines was roadkill, so of course they had to stop and look closely at it. They were absolutely thrilled to see the claw marks on its belly indicating that it had been viscerated by a bear.
Roger, Janie's husband, finally got to go salmon fishing in Dyea as the king salmon begin their run up the Taiya River. Some rangers approached him in a boat to inform him that he was sharing the river and the fish with three grizzlies. He had been so engrossed in the process that he had not even noticed. The bears had more success than he did.
Winter is coming on with a vengeance now that fall has arrived officially. The interior has had freezing temperatures and lowering snow levels. Skagway is still in the 40's and 50's thanks to the south wind. It is fun talking with people about the trip home. Some are worried that snow will be a problem. Some tell us that the last time they drove the Cassiar it was very rough. We just say that since we have a home on wheels we can stop to wait out a snow storm, and that the last time we drove the Cassiar it was very rough, but it is fine if you just slow down. We are going to let the weather determine if we go through Jasper and Banff.
Yesterday I took Barry and Corrinne to the ferry and said goodbye. Don was there dropping off Kyler, so we went to lunch at Sweet Tooth. I did the laundry, so we can begin our trip with clean clothes. Don aired up all of our tires. I got a fair start on repacking for the road. We had our last card game last night. Peggie feels it is important to point out that I had the low score. Tonight we are going out to dinner to say goodbye to everyone. I think it is that nobody wants to fix dinner at home because we are all packing up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
"Peggie feels it is important to point out that I had the low score." Hmm...I must admit it was much noted by ALL that Bill had the low score. I think our friends may have noticed his competitive streak over the last 20 weeks. But how charming of him to bring it up first.
Is it also charming to point out that Peggie did NOT win? What "ALL" noted was that I usually score near the top. They were amazed, not gloating.
Wouldn't you know that Don would see all those bears after I left. And of course all the eating out, oh wait he is the one who likes to eat out, I don't. I do miss the apple turnovers though, and the cookies and the smoothies. Miss ya'll too.
Post a Comment