Monday, July 6, 2009

Alaska's little hot spot

At 89 degrees Skagway was Alaska's hot spot today. There are 61 active wildfires in Alaska right now. This is not normal, and the forecast is for more of the same all week. Judging by the hazy air, Yukon probably has fires, too. But at least fanning at the mosquitoes keeps us cool. I heard a little girl complaining to her mother about the heat "I thought we were going to Alaska. It's supposed to be cold."
Or maybe, that's what I said to Peggie.
We Arizonans are used to the asphalt melting. It is melting here, so they spread sand to soak up the seeping oil. This is on the highway out of town, not in the town itself.
Today on my tour we saw a brown (black) bear with really long hair. I am sure I haven't seen that one before, and he was in a place where I've seen a black one before. Then we saw some mountain goats all lying down on the Goat Mountain not too high up. Then on Sheep Mountain we saw a ram who, after awhile, struck a pose like he wanted the cover of Field and Stream. On the way back the mountain goats, four adults and two kids, were moving around. One of the kids seemed to be trying out his ability to move around on steep rocks. We heard him bleating and his mom came running. They are feeling the heat, too. Their hair is clumping off. It was neat to see all these animals so close. "Did you take a picture?" Karin asks. (hit myself in the forehead) "No. I forgot I had the camera."
At least the store had ice cream today, so after dinner we went bear hunting in Dyea, then came back for ice cream. No bears in Dyea.
The sun will be setting in another hour, so I am going to bed.
You will be reading this on 7-7 so Happy Birthday, Margie. I wish your age and our temperature were the same. No,No,No, I'm not wanting you to be older, I want us to be colder.
It is 10:15 and they are moving trains around and it reminded me of a piece of trivia for you all. The White Pass and Yukon Route company invented the container shipping system now used world wide. I had lunch with the grandson of the man who concocted the idea. He also designed the low-boy cars they carry them on.

No comments: