Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Grizzly details.

In the previous entry in which DON GOT HIMSELF STUCK IN THE MUD AND I HAD TO GET HIM OUT the bear was a grizzly. I apologize for the ommission of detail. I have taught many fifth graders that description helps your reader to see, hear, taste, smell, feel what you are telling. But in my defense, the main idea was that DON GOT HIMSELF STUCK IN THE MUD AND I HAD TO GET HIM OUT. Also, this is a blog and I can relax some of the conventions of formal writing.
The normal everyday (almost) bears are still interesting. Today we saw Cindy alone on the side of the road. I could tell it was Cindy because it was in the right neighborhood and only Mabel would let a cub alone like that. Yesterday as I topped a small rise I thought for a flash that a horse was in the road. It was a bear the color that so many horses have,(sorrel?) but not that big. He was the biggest normal everyday bear I have seen.
Also, yesterday, I made a second run just to the summit (where the Welcome to Alaska sign is). Some inconsiderate bear left a large pile of scat in the downhill lane. He was inconsiderate because he did it sometime between my trip up and my trip down. And I didn't see him. Somewhere, someone who saw him is authoritatively telling everyone that bears do NOT scat in the woods afterall. What a great story. But what is next? Is the Pope really Catholic?
Happy Birthday, Dick. You and Margie and I have those meaningless birthdays this year. But Happy Birthday, anyway. I didn't have any cake today, but I was thinking about you when I had some ice cream.

No comments: