Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It is all in the timing.

Yesterday as we drove beside Tutshi Lake, which is an hour from Skagway, I was answering the usual questions about the depth and fish and the lack of boaters, when one women asked if we had walruses or sea lions up here. I said "No, this is a fresh water lake and those are sea mammals." So she said she had seen something in the harbor by the ships. Oh, okay, those were harbor seals. It was just the timing of the question that made it sound stupid.
Later someone from California asked if we had forest fires up here. Again, the timing made it funny. For the last week I had been explaining that the smokey haze came from the many wildfires burning to the north of us, yesterday was the first clear day. But she made me realize that on the entire run up to Carcross, there are no old burn areas. There is no visible evidence of forest fires. Kind of weird, really.
Of course, someone asked what kind of flowers those are. I know some, but not all of the flowers. At the info center in Carcross I asked if they knew the flowers. Well, one of them had put together an album of dried, pressed flowers. It was the best flower book you can imagine. Of course it would be impossible to produce in large numbers, but great for a place like that. (The flowers in question are dwarf fireweed) Anyway, a few days before one of them had asked me about the new brewery/restaurant in Skagway. We hadn't been yet, but I mentioned that they brewed root beer. Three of the women were excited about that, because, like me, they like root beer, but not beer. Last night we had to go there so I could find out if they bottle their root beer so I could bring some to the info center. They don't. The food was okay, but too pricey, and they actually charged me for a refill on my root beer. Nobody does that.
When we returned to the RV park there were two guys with a professional size video camera set up in the driveway. I went to ask them to move it so Roger could get to his parking space. They were shooting a documentary about travel in Alaska for Dutch public television. They are going to be traveling all over the state. They had the camera pointed at the part of the park we call the slums. We don't get Dutch public television so I guess we won't be seeing how our little piece of paradise fits into the program.
The presence of a camera crew did draw people out. One of our neighbors who had been living in The Man Cave asked if we like shrimp. Turns out he has half interest in a shrimp pot, but doesn't like shrimp all that much. So he will give us his share of the next catch. In return, I will take him bear hunting in Dyea, as he has no car.
So we came home at just the right time.

3 comments:

Caseygirl said...

are you talking about actual bear hunting? or bear sighting hunting? if he actually kills a bear what are you going to do? where will it go?

Bill said...

Regular readers of my blog should know that bear hunting is done with binoculars and/or cameras. The shooting of bears for sport is done by other people. This particular yahoo would probably like to shoot a grizzly with a gun, but he doesn't have one here. And, of course, there is that whole bugaboo about licenses and seasons and the cost of processing a bear. You can rest assured that I haven't gone Alaskan on you here.

Anonymous said...

What? no riding around in flying machines shooting wild animals for FUN?