Saturday, July 18, 2009

Trip to Whitehorse

A trip to Whitehorse wouldn't be complete without a few animals and a trip to the grocery store. Sorry, no pictures of the grocery store; you'll have to use your imagination. But this fella appeared along with a few bajillion bugs. Even without the bugs we keep the windows closed when we're hanging out with bears.



We came around another bend in the road and saw this little guy. We stopped and watched him for a while. He mostly had his nose down so Bill gave him a wolf whistle, er... I mean a fox whistle and he looked up very cooperatively.



Can you see it? I couldn't either so it helps that Bill is good at his job and spots things for me.


Can you see it now?






It's fun to see the ever-changing landscape. Right now the Fireweed is in bloom and it seems to be everywhere. It grows in the alley behind the stores, along the roads, next to the water and on hillsides--great big swaths of bright pink flowers.





The area that begins around Tormented Valley appears to have a bunch of flowers on the rocks. Bill had already checked it out and said it's a grass-like tundra growth.



Upon closer examination, I decided it looks a bit like 3-D lichen.

Back in Alaska we saw this mama and kid...just hanging out...
I found food-grade lavender buds at the Coffee, Tea & Spice store in Whitehorse. I plan to make Lemon Lavender Cookies tomorrow!!!!

No comments: