Friday, July 17, 2009

Just have some patience!

Bill surprised me by driving up while I was riding my bike home after work, putting the bike in the truck, picking up dinner at one of our favorite places and going out to the harbor to watch harbor seals and whales (people, ships, boats and birds too). He saw whales last night and I had talked with people today who saw them from the cruise ship. Tonight the whales were in pods doing bubble netting. We have no idea how many whales--three, six, seven or more--it was a bunch but they didn't come up close enough to introduce themselves. We even watched a couple of them doing barrel rolls and we could see their pectoral flippers arcing up in the air. At first we weren't sure what we were seeing so it was very nice of them to stick around for a few hours for our enjoyment. Unfortunately, we did not take this picture but it gives you the idea. It was even better in person. We were enjoying our relaxing hours and got a kick out of other people driving up, looking out at the water for a few minutes and then leaving. I guess the show wasn't happening fast enough for them. We just looked at each other and said "Isn't it nice not to "have" to do anything else but sit here and watch?"

We then noticed there was a little excitement happening behind us too...


Bill bought me my own pair of binoculars about a week ago and I've really been enjoying them. We started looking at the mountains (the close up ones seem small until you start following the trees up and up and up and up), areas of avalanche and re-growth (it almost looks like it's been logged but that's impossible), cracks in the ice and areas where tons and tons of snow have collapsed, etc.

I had a good time putting the camera up to the binoculars and taking some pictures.


You can see some areas where the snow has collapsed. It's worth clicking to enlarge this picture.



It was a great way to end the work week. We're heading up to Whitehorse tomorrow so I'm hoping to see moose, bear, sheep, goats and their kids. And, have Bill show me where he went when he had his hair-brained idea and brought home the goat hair.

3 comments:

Caseygirl said...

Mom, these photos have been faked and photoshopped. the first one you admit isn't yours. the second one has a ship on stilts, the third puts a ship in the barrel-of-a-gun shot used in James Bond movies, and the last one has details you could have only gotten from taking a picture off your TV.

I expect authentic photos mom, sheesh!

Caseygirl said...

actually, I had no idea you could take photos through binoculars - very cool!

Anonymous said...

So now you know your mom is acutally a genius and possibly retired from the CIA as well as Amphi.

Amazing photos.