Remember the bear I saw on the tracks at breakfast one morning last week? I wasn't the only one. This week's Skagway News has a story about a bear that has become a nuisance in town. She has shown up at the kid's park and other places. The police blotter mentions one or two bear calls all over town for about 10 days in a row. The officials have decided that they will have to shoot her. Apparently she is one of the cubs that were seen around town last year, so she is too comfortable around people. They have already worked out what to do with the meat, skin and bones. So next time she shows up, it's bye bye bear. They really do everything they can to save the bears. All agencies involved are consulted before the termination is agreed to.
Speaking of the paper....I did make it into the police blotter last time because of my passport. Today I submitted this to the Heard on the Wind: On an overcast morning on Broadway a tourist admired the flowers in front of a store. "Wow, look at those beautiful flowers! I wonder how they do that with no sunshine."
The other thing I earned with the loss of my passport is a Tlingit nickname. At the gas station I am now known as 'he who falls from horses'.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I should mention that the people at the station are not Tlingit, that Tlingits probably have no word for horse, so we decided that the Tlingit pronunciation is probably "oops."
Post a Comment