Tuesday, July 7, 2009
The Way Things Work Out...For the Better
I decided to see if I could climb up the mountain to recover some of the goat hair that was falling off the goats I saw yesterday. See, my thinking was that when Peggie gets around to making a Skagway-for-the-summer quilt, she could incorporate things like goat hair. My impression was that the spot might be within climbing distance even for me. I wanted to go up in the evening after it had cooled off a bit. I knew that it might not be easy climbing so I wanted Peggie to come as my spotter and to get me rescued if necessary. I don't have crazy illusions about my youth and physical condition. She was not even close to being interested in my hare-brained idea. But Don was. So after his last tour got in, he called to see if it would be okay to bring his crazy-over-anything-about-animals crew. Sure. But even they wondered why I wanted goat hair. So we drive up there, get out of the truck, and I point to the spot where the goats were and we start to discuss whether it is possible to cross the gulch to climb the other side. In the time it took me to type that, the three young guys had already reached the bottom of the gulch. One of them seems to be part mountain goat himself. He could pick fairly easy climbing routes and go right up. The other two struggled more, but kept at it. Don and I had already decided that it was too much for us, so we offered guidance about direction and stayed at the truck. The one guy, Blair, made it up there in about ten or fifteen minutes. I could already tell it would have taken me an hour. The other two took longer, but once they were up there they got all excited. They found tracks in the moss. Then some hair stuck to a bush. Then a bedding spot in the shrubs, and lots of hair. They stuffed their pockets and went exploring the mountain side. Coming back down was the same. Blair just jumped from rock to rock and came down as if there was a trail. The other two got trapped in some trees, backtracked, slid on their rumps, and generally struggled. They all got back okay. And with two pockets full of hair and the downey undercoat that is more like wool. They gave this to me like it was mine, then asked if they could keep just a little to show when they take out a tour. I'm thinking, you just climbed all over the mountain to get this, and you're asking me if you can keep some? So I got the hair, and the idea of showing it to tourists, without even climbing over one rock. These guys had such a good time, they asked me if I had any other hare-brained schemes they could participate in. So if I come up with any, I will be sure to include them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is a great story!
Monday morning I wrote a long and interesting and funny and witty comment about all the days of blogging we caught up on after we returned from our 4 day trip to Durango.
At the beginning of this fascinating piece of prose I reminded you gently that the next day was my birthday and wondered if I could comment on all those days at once or if the blog police would punish me for grouping together comments about the inconsiderate bear, the duck race, the 4th of July, and the mud.
Apparently there is such a thing as blog police, because I was interrupted in the middle of my brilliant essay for several minutes, and I came back and finished with a short description of our Four Corners, Cortez, Durango, Silverton, and Lake Vallecito trip, including a few more discreet references to my special day coming up Tuesday, and when I tried to post the comment, the page had timed out and I lost the entire creative endeavor!
That ruined my desire to write anything, so I gave up (I also ran out of time). So I am especially pleased that you remembered my birthday even without my delicate and somewhat numerous (but subtle and tasteful) reminders!
They say that wisdom comes with age, and this post about the climbing adventure indicates that they might be right! I still have LOTS of time before I am as wise as you are, though.
Dave and I took yesterday off. We had tickets to the DBacks game last night - they've won four in a row! - and we went down early to have lunch and visit with cousin Scott Thomas, and see their new house, which is gorgeous. Then we did a short stop at Paddock Pools for hot tub supplies, then we lucked into the right place and time for a visit with niece Casey Thomas! That was cool! Actually, it was hot. Phoenix was 111 degrees according to our car thermometer! So although 89 sounds pretty uncomfortable for Skagway, with most places missing A/C, it is still not unbearable (pun intended). It was a terrific birthday!
Now we will see if the blog police are still watching, but at least I had no interruptions today. Keep up the good stories!
I've been married to this guy for 39 years. I KNOW he will come up with more hare-brained or hair-brained ideas. Don's crazy-over-anything-about-animals crew may look forward to additional adventures in the future. You'll notice that Karin didn't seem to be interested in this particular activity either. We each enjoyed sitting in air-conditioned RV's after spending time in very hot work environments. We enjoy most of the adventures and have for many years.
The blog police can be very annoying. Glad you had a happy birthday Margie.
Thank you mom! I was really upset that the "hair"-brained pun was lost on dad for his whole post - especially since he said hare-brained twice!
good to know at least one of you still has a punny bone!
Post a Comment