Friday, July 17, 2009

Thar she blows!

Yesterday I was to take Holden bear hunting (sighting, Casey) but I couldn't locate him. Don said he and Karin had been down watching whales in the harbor in the afternoon. I decided to go ahead and look for bears on my own, everybody else was tired. I stopped to look at what I thought was a building across the inlet (it was) and saw the whales blowing. So I watched them for a while. They seemed to be just going back and forth. Casey called to chat, which we did, and no bears came out again. I did see harbor seals, though.
On the way back I had to pull over for a wide load. The road is one lane in places but has pullouts. The driver of the lead truck was Darryl from the gas station. It is weird to be out in the Alaska wild and have some one pull up and say, "Hi, Bill, I need you to back into that wide spot for a wide load we have coming through." But I was glad I knew him, because today I could ask what the load was. It is a new foot bridge to be put over West Creek, which is the one we all went out to watch flooding last month.
Then I went down to the harbor for a closer look at the whales still going back and forth.
Today I had to take a bus to Whitehorse for repairs. I left early and had the road to myself. Two trucks overtook me and passed, but otherwise no traffic either way until Carcross (65 miles).
I finally saw a moose by this road, but no passengers to share it with. If I had been a few seconds later she would have been in the road, but she turned and headed back into the woods when I slowed down. No chance for a photo.
Karin took another of her co-workers out and about today. The whales are still there.
Peggie and I are going to Whitehorse again tomorrow early. I hope we see more wildlife than I saw today.

No comments: