Karin is catching a plane today. Don is going with her to Juneau, then riding the ferry back tomorrow. It will be his most relaxing day of the summer. We finished off the halibut chowder last night by adding peas and cornbread to it. We got a total of 11 meals from free fish.
Trish (Peggie and Karin's boss) treated us all to spaghetti dinner as a farewell for Karin Wednesday night.
The locals say that summer is over. Fall is here. The leaves are turning yellow at about the same speed as the snow melted in May and June. The weather has turned "normal" as temperatures stay within the 50-60 range and clouds and rain are more common than sunshine. The highs and lows are often within 5 degrees. The rain is 90% at night.
Business this week has been unpredictable. Today I am the only one in the office so either I will be swamped and turning people away, or I will be the Maytag repair man, no telling.
Deer are not indigenous in the Yukon, having migrated north in just the last half-century. Nevertheless, my best sighting this week was two pretty 4 point mule deer (black tail variety) posing for Field and Stream.
I am liking having large Indian groups on board. The previous group sang songs, and the last group shared their homemade snacks with me. Thelpa, puri, and homemade mango chutney. mmmmgood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Don will be relaxed because he will be away from work (a rarity) and NOT because Karin is leaving but you probably figured that out already. We have all had a great time together. Karin mentioned yesterday morning that she didn't really have a summer because she goes back to work on Tuesday. I hope she didn't just figure that out. :-)
Yes, of course, I was referring to 6+ hours on the ferry with no interuptions or responsibilities. I bet Don falls asleep in his chair.
Today was a Maytag day. I finally got one couple on a trip to the summit without frills. They were Russian and we had a good time. There was a near-freezing rain and they kept making comparisons to Siberia.
We aren't getting a summer either, but we planned it that way. Today was another day that didn't hit 100! or 90 or 80 or 70.
No summer but I'm re-retiring!
I checked a ten day forecast for Skagway this morning. 57 and rain today, highs in the 40's for the next ten days, along with clouds and rain every day.
Karin is the smartest one among you - get out before the really cold weather sets in!
Okay, you got us laughing now. Actually, it's been a really warm summer and this new weather is kind of nice. Well, except when getting out of the shower. After a couple more days of it (five already) we may be tired of it. Ten days, eh?
Post a Comment