Friday, August 28, 2009

Noah? Is that you?

I got to the office okay this morning driving downstream. Nobody bought my tour, so I left. I was able to bum a ride in a neighbor's boat and got home alright. I did have to help row, since it was upstream. On the way, we saw a pair of moose, a pair of wolves, a pair of grizzlies, and a pair of shoes. There was an old grey-bearded man at the lumber yard demanding another 300 cubits of lumber. Skagway is a weird place.

Don doesn't have anything to do today either. (I hear you all saying "Uh oh.") So we are going over to Dyea to see the dying salmon. Low tide is at 1:52. If we are not back by about 5:00, we are stuck, come get us out. If we are not back by 7:53 (high tide) send the Coast Guard.

Old No. 73 just steamed by and blew its mournful whistle. They take the old steam engine (it is outfitted with pontoons for today's sailing) out on Friday and Sunday for a 3 hour tour, a three hour tour. Alert the Coast Guard and the syndicators, they could be lost in Tormented Valley forever and ever on channel 48.

Don't look at things too long. I just noticed in that last paragraph that our is pronounced or in mournful, ow-er in hour, and oo-er in tour. English is a weird language.

4 comments:

Karin said...

Sounds like I left at the right time except Don finally has time off, oh well. Hope he takes pictures. Encourage Don to take pictures....

Caseygirl said...

yeah dad, you can take pictures too! I don't know what it looks like to row back to your trailer, pictures would be great

Margie said...

Your blog is really scary, considering that you still have a month to go. Are you going to start seeing Yosemite Sam next?
Dave says he used to talk like that a lot, up there in the State of Warshington, but after your brain dries out, you will be okay again. (I almost said "back to normal" but that would be pushing it, wouldn't it?

Peggie said...

I'm glad Bill understands that "home" is upstream. I had a guy ask me the elevation here yesterday and when I said zero he said "Really?". I said, "Well, it's zero at the harbor but it's probably 20 or 25 at my RV because I put my bike in an easier gear on my way home." The bike has been useless lately, the oars are much better. Did we mention RAIN?