Turns out Dave (the boss) was wrong. It is in July that things begin to boil, eh?
Yesterday morning I was outside the office talking with a potential customer (the small office can get crowded with more than 4 people) when a woman who had been inside came out just huffing about I-knew-not-what obviously more than a little bit miffed. I went inside a few seconds later and Dave had a bewildered look on his face, so I asked what had set her off. Then she opened the door and berated Dave for not having any seats in the office and left again. She did not like having to get out of bed an hour before departure to handle the paperwork associated with her tour. Her tour that I would be driving in an hour! Oh, boy! About a half hour later she was back. Something about Herb might not get here in time, blah, blah, blah. I went out with her to settle her down a bit. Turns out she is a kindergarten teacher and yada, yada pretty soon we are old friends and she is just not having a good day. She enjoyed the tour, confessed to me that she'd had ice cream the night before, and her lactose intolerant digestive system was making her cranky. When I dropped her and the on-time Herb back at the ship, she said she would be over with some cash for me at the office, she didn't have any on her. I, of course, held my breath. Then I remembered that Dave was going to Whitehorse, wouldn't be in the office, and decided that my new friend probably wouldn't work all that hard to get me a tip. I ran into Dave at the gas station and he asked me if that lady had given me a tip. I explained about the cash situation and that I guessed I was out of luck since no one was in the office. He says, no, the guy came by with $20 and Dave was curious if it was an apology tip from the man or if it came from the woman. Today when I went in to the office there was the $20 with a note from Dave, "Tip for Bill from the man with Ms Grumpy." At $20 a head, bring on the grumpies.
Besides, we got to see a big bald eagle that flew alongside the bus for about 15 seconds, the first bear in about a week, and that same family of goats from which I got my hair-brained idea.
Moratorium, schmoritorium, tomorrow is our 39th anniversary and we are going to Haines on our day off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I neglected to send you a card for your anniversary, but I believe you should be getting one from your mother so check your general delivery box!
I am glad you made the grumpy lady's day. Some days are certainly more difficult than others, and you should feel proud that you cheered someone up and gave her a great memory to take home with her.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
Post a Comment