Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lemon Lavender Cookies Get An A+++

I decided to go to the Temple of Clean Clothes this morning while others were at church. It was a time of peace and contemplation and I gave thanks for having my own washer and dryer in my other life. While that may sound slightly irreverent, I was very sincere. By 9:30 I was finished and could turn my attention to baking my lemon lavender cookies.

Now my children don't think of their mom as a baker because each of them or Bill was always willing to bake up cookies--chocolate chip, boiled, oatmeal, brownies--and come on, why would I interfere with a "chore" they were sooooooooo willing to take on. However, Dessert-Chef Peggie is my alter ego and she comes out periodically. The lemon-lavender cookies at the local bakery spoke directly to my alter ego. And, the baker doesn't make them very often, unlike her apple turnovers and cinnamon rolls that are regulars on the menu. My previous research uncovered quite a few recipes for lemon lavender shortbread-type cookies but I wanted something a little easier and without it needing to be chilled before baking. I found a drop cookie recipe and after a few creative changes I baked up a batch of lemon lavender cookies and took some over to Karin. She declared them winners. At least I think that's what she was saying. It was kind of hard to understand her because her mouth was full but that's what it sounded like when I was saying that with my mouth full a few minutes prior to taking some over to her. I don't know if Don will get a chance to declare them winners. Karin said Don really likes chocolate chip cookies (duh!) and she wasn't sure she needed to save any lemon lavender cookies for him. I think I kind of like that dark side of Karin...who knew?


These cookies need to be removed from the oven just as the bottoms start to brown. Too much brown adds a bit of a burned flavor to the lemon and lavender and it caused me to eat two or three before I knew if I was just tasting burned flavor or lemon and lavender was coming through. The next tray was removed from the oven at just the right time. That's when I, with my mouth full, declared them winners! I think I knew that after just one cookie but two confirmed it for sure.

Then...I decided to mix some powdered sugar, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and lavender buds together to make a lemon-lavender buttercream frosting. After another cookie to test the new development, I took Don and Karin, I mean Karin, hers.

I think Bill needs to get home pretty soon or I just may have to repeat this chore....

6 comments:

Bill said...

Thank goodness I came home in time. The only reason there were cookies for me to eat was that I had the camera and Peggie wanted to take a picture of the cookies. Notice that there are 11 cookies on the plate. The recipe made two dozen. What happened to 13 cookies....Karin?....Peggie?

Peggie said...

Well, I had to put two away for Maria. She loves the bakery cookies too but at $2 for each one it's a bit pricey. Of course if I'd made them the same size as the bakery, there would have been a total of six!!! Karin and I couldn't have saved any for Don, Bill OR Maria at that rate.

Peggie said...

And, I only count 10 on that plate so I guess it's a good thing we didn't let Bill get involved in counting them out for each of us. What happened to the one between his counting and my picture is what I'd like to know.

Margie said...

Was the coin or whatever placed there to show a scale of the size of the cookies? I can't enlarge the cookie photo, so I am not sure what the item is - a coin or the top of a table leg.
The cookies look great, but I will be more interested with a new recipe that uses chocolate, thank you!
And some of us remember you as the Home Economics guru, both sewing and cooking away, back when boys took Shop and girls took Home Ec to learn how to be homemakers, and that was still all that was truly expected of us! We've come a long way, baby, and a few wrinkles added along the journey are well worth it!
Really, the cookies look wonderful, and I have no doubt about that missing cookie and what happened to it!

Caseygirl said...

You know you are right, Dad and Greg and I were always willing to make cookies - but lemon lavendar cookies are purely a mom creation. only a mom would try to add flowers to a cookie recipe. Somehow I see dad messing up that recipe, plus if any of us made them it wouldn't have gotten to cookie stage, we all love the dough!

Anonymous said...

OK. Now I am hungry for a bite of those cookies, even the dough would be appreciated.