Friday, July 10, 2009

Trouble in Paradise

Don got his passenger endorsement just in time. His only bus driver is in the hospital in Juneau with complications related to his obesity, smoking, and a lifetime of bad practices. He has a jeep driver who needs to be fired, but THE BOSS in Seatle hates firing people. Another has left to join another company that does rock climbing. The two remaining drivers are buddies with the one who needs to be fired, so he is afraid he will be down to nobody real soon. The only source of replacements are workers who have lost enthusiasm where they are. Unless, Dave, you have some willing to relocate to a sub-arctic climate for two and a half months.
We also need a maintenence person and clerk person at the RV park. The couple filling those niches needs to return home. I've been told that things begin to fall apart in August as students return to school. Don is just ahead of his time.

I had the day off today, and bad boy that I am, I did some fun stuff before attacking some chores. I drove 30 miles to check out a dirt road. It was worth it, but not a good story here. I did not see any bears, but saw 8 goats in three locations.

2 comments:

Margie said...

How much do these jobs pay? The employment market is bad enough here that Dave might be able to find someone willing to go to Alaska for 2-1/2 months. The hard part is finding someone out of a job but able to invest in the travel cost to get there!

Bill said...

In reality, the pay is not good enough to offset travel costs now. I think you have to work the whole season. I suppose if someone could find a cheap way to get here, maybe the ferry, and then work two jobs for the rest of the season, they could make some money. Anybody really interested would need to research the jobs in November or December for next season. We know lots of people working 2 jobs.