Monday, July 27, 2009

Wow! Wow! Wow! What a great show!

After a nice birthday dinner at Northern Lights restaurant to celebrate Don's birthday, we all decided to drive out to Dyea and hunt bear. Well, look at this guy we found. The salmon are running and we've been hearing that brown bears have been showing up to feast on the salmon. The Dyea valley was really pretty because we've had rain today and there was a layer of fog on the river. There were quite a few people waiting for the bears to arrive and I'll show you more pictures and movies tomorrow. Suffice it to say that it was the greatest show on earth in our neck of the woods. Look at the fireweed behind the bear. Beautiful. We watched for a looooooooong time. Another bear showed up (I didn't see him) but I'd used up the memory on my camera and was just contented to watch through my binoculars. And, I forgot my feet hurt!

PRICELESS!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Bill said...

Karin and a few other knotheads got really close, maybe 40 feet. In reality, the danger was pretty low because the bear was catching salmon and not interested in people. Also, this is a camping area and there is a cabin where people live along with a gazzillion sled dogs, so this bear is used to people. The grapevine is active so about 40 people were out there to see the bear.

FACS Education Advisor said...

I love the revised meaning of "hunt bear" and the beautiful picture! Bring on the movies!

Margie said...

Nice way to end a birthday celebration!